Request for Extension to File 2016 Gross Receipts Tax and Payroll Expense Tax

The extension request and conditional payment must be submitted on or before February 28, 2017.

For good cause, the Tax Collector, in his or her discretion, may extend, for a period not to exceed 60 days, the time for filing the Return. As a condition of such extension, the person seeking the extension shall make a payment of not less than 90 percent of such person's tax liability for such period. For purposes of determining the amount of the conditional payment, the Tax Collector may independently establish the taxpayer's tax liability. 

For Tax Year 2016, taxpayers granted a 60 day extension must file their Return and pay by May 1, 2017. Submit your extension request and conditional payment of at least 90% of your tax liability by February 28, 2017 to avoid penalties, and fees. If you will qualify for a small business exemption for both taxes, then you do not need to submit payment. 

Select “Enter Filing” below to access the online extension request form.  You will need your Business Account Number (BAN), Tax Identification Number (Tax ID) and Online PIN to enter the online extension form.  The BAN and Online PIN are printed on your filing notice. 

For a worksheet and detailed instructions you may select “Instructions” below.

InstructionsEnter Filing


Technical Difficulties?  Click HERE.

Online filings have been optimized for Internet Explorer 9+, and current versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Online forms are not supported on Internet Explorer 8 and earlier.

The Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector cannot advise you on tax matters.  Therefore, if you have additional questions, it is best to consult your own Tax professional, Tax Attorney or Certified Public Accountant. 

Frequently Asked Questions about Extensions:

  • How will I know you received my extension request? Once your extension request is submitted you will receive a confirmation letter from our office to your mailing address on record, in addition to the email confirmation when you submitted.
  • What happens after I file my Return prior to May 1, 2017? Once you file your 2016 Gross Receipts Tax and Payroll Expense Tax Annual Return, our office will analyze if you met the requirements (including 90% of your tax due) to approve or deny your extension request.  
  • How do I know if my extension request has been denied? If you are denied the extension request you will receive correspondence at your mailing address on record.  Penalties, interest, and fees will accrue until paid.
  • I was approved for an extension, but I have a remaining balance due.  Will I be charged interest and at what rate? If you are approved for the extension request, you will still need to pay interest on the remaining amount due, until paid.  Note that interest accrues at 1% per month, assessed at the first of the month.  For instance, if you have a balance due of $1,000, $10 of interest will accrue per month, assessed at the first of the month.