San Francisco’s Business and Tax Regulations Code requires that every person engaging in business within the City must register within 15 days after commencing business and renewed on an annual basis.
New Business Registration
The Business Registration Certificate must be conspicuously displayed at your place of business and renewed annually by May 31st.
Determine if your business needs to register in San Francisco
If you answer "Yes" to any of the questions below, you must register your business.
- Operate as an independent contractor within San Francisco?
- Conduct business in SF for any part of seven (7) days during the fiscal year, including use of streets?
- Perform work or render services within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
- Solicit business within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
- Maintain a fixed place of business within San Francisco?
- Exercise corporate or franchise powers within San Francisco?
- Own or lease real or personal property within San Francisco for business purposes?
- Regularly maintain a stock of tangible personal property for sale in San Francisco?
- Employ or loan capital on property within San Francisco?
- Liquidate businesses when the liquidators hold themselves out to the public as conducting such business?
Click to begin registration process:
Renew Business Registration
Business registrations are renewed on an annual basis and extensions are not available. Filing after the due date will result in penalties, interest, and fees. If your account is up to date, certificates will be mailed during the middle of June to be posted by July 1st.
Payments received or USPS postmarked after May 31 (if date falls on a weekend or holiday, taxes are due the next business day), are subject to the following:
|Payment Received After||Payment Received By||Penalties, Interest, Fees|
|May 31||June 30||5% penalty plus 1% interest per month and $55.00 administrative fee|
|June 30||July 31||10% penalty plus 1% interest per month and $55.00 administrative fee|
|July 31||August 31||15% penalty plus 1% interest per month and $55.00 administrative fee|
|August 31||N/A||40% penalty plus 1% interest per month and $55.00 administrative fee|
Additional Information and Forms:
|Need Further Assistance?|
|Submit a service request. A Representative will contact you on the SAME DAY of the request if submitted prior to 7:00 pm. Requests received after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.|