Annual Business Tax Online Return 2018

City and County of San Francisco city seal

Annual Business Tax Online Return


The San Francisco Annual Business Tax Return (“Return”) includes the Gross Receipts Tax, Payroll Expense Tax, and Administrative Office Tax. Beginning in tax year 2019, the Return will also include the Early Care and Education Commercial Rents Tax and Homelessness Gross Receipts Tax.

Persons other than lessors of residential real estate ARE REQUIRED to file a Return for tax year 2018, if in 2018 you were engaged in business in San Francisco and you:

Lessors of residential real estate in San Francisco must register and file a return for EACH BUILDING unless both of the following are true:

  • Taxable payroll expense in the City attributable to that building is less than $300,000; AND
  • Lease fewer than 4 units in that individual building.

If you do not meet any of the above criteria for tax year 2018 you generally are not required to file. 

Read the instructions which provide a summary of the applicable rules and the San Francisco Business and Tax Regulation Code which provides the law for computation and rules for filing the Return.

Select a button to begin

Instructions        annual filing and payment  

The Return must be submitted and paid before midnight on 02/28/19.

Click here for late business tax filing/payment penalty amounts.

Browser Requirement: The Return is optimized for Internet Explorer 11+ and current versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Please check and/or update your version before filing. Reported Technical Issues.

Additional Help:



Available Forms

Prior Years Gross Receipts and Payroll Expense Annual Returns (2014-2017)
Prior Years Payroll Tax Forms (2000-2013)



Need Further Assistance?
Submit a service request.  A Representative will contact you on the SAME DAY of the request if submitted prior to 7:00 pm. Requests received after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.

The Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector cannot advise you on tax matters. Therefore, if you have additional questions, it is best to consult your own Tax professional, Tax Attorney or Certified Public Accountant.