Absent Heirs

Absent or Missing Heirs Funds
These are monies deposited with the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector by the Public Administrator or any other representative of an estate, for which certain heirs or beneficiaries cannot be located at the time of the estate's distribution.  
If you believe you have a claim for any of the Absent or Missing Heirs Funds listed in the link below, you must follow the procedures outlined in California Probate Code section 11854 to make a claim for those funds.

California Probate Code section 11854

(a) A person may claim money on deposit in the county treasury by filing a petition with the court that made the order for distribution. The petition shall show the person’s claim or right to the property. Unless the petition is filed by the person named in the decree for distribution of a decedent’s estate, or the legal representative of the person or the person’s estate, the petition shall state the facts required to be stated in a petition for escheated property filed under Section 1355 of the Code of Civil Procedure. On the filing of the petition, the same proceedings shall be had as are required by that section, except that the hearing shall be ex parte unless the court orders otherwise.

(b) If so ordered by the court, a copy of the petition shall be served on the Attorney General. The Attorney General may answer the petition, at the Attorney General’s discretion.

(c) If the court is satisfied that the claimant has a right to the property claimed, the court shall make an order establishing the right. On presentation of a certified copy of the order, the county auditor shall draw a warrant on the county treasurer for the amount of money covered by the order.

(d) A claim for money distributed in the estate of a deceased person made after the deposit of the property in the State Treasury is governed by the provisions of Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 1335) of Title 10 of Part 3 of the Code of Civil Procedure.

Once you obtain the order from the court establishing the right to the money deposited with the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector, you can submit a certified copy of the order to the following address: 

Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector
Attn: Treasury Accounting, Absent Heirs Section
1 Dr. Carlton Goodlett Place
City Hall, Room 140
San Francisco, CA 94102
Tel. 415-554-7354"

If the funds remain unclaimed within one year of the deposit with the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector, the funds will be transferred to the California State Controller’s Office along with its semi-annual report of Estates of Deceased Persons’ Report of Cash and Personal Property, Absent Heirs or Claimants.

For these claims, please contact:
State Controller's Office
Unclaimed Property Division
P.O Box 942850
Sacramento, CA 94250-5873

Download the current Absent Heirs list



Need Further Assistance?
Submit a service request.  A Representative will contact you on the SAME DAY of the request if submitted prior to 7:00 pm. Requests received after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.