Fines and Fees Task Force Meeting Minutes
January 19, 2017
Fines and Fees Task Force Meeting
January 19, 2017, 3:00-5:00pm
City Hall, Room 278
Task Force Members Present:
Anne Stuhldreher (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Dion Libutti (Community Housing Partnership), Scott Nelson (Coalition on Homelessness), Kendra Amick (Bay Area Legal Aid), Ruth Sappelt (Office of Economic and Workforce Development), Elisa Della-Piana (Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights), Emmett Nelson (Municipal Transportation Agency), Tara Anderson (District Attorney’s Office), Carmen Aguirre (Public Defender’s Office)
Members of the Public:
Tanea Lunsford (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Phillip O’Donnell (Coalition on Homelessness), Asher Waite-Jones (Legal Services for Children), Jeff Ferreira (SF Police Department), Sam Dodge (Department on Homelessness & Supportive Housing), Anna Arevalo (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Christa Brown (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Jennifer Friedenbach (Coalition on Homelessness), Amanda Fried (SF Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector), Mark Culkins (SF Superior Court), Tara Agnese (SF Adult Probation Department)
- Agenda Review and Approval
Anne Stuhldreher called the meeting to order at 3:00pm. Anne reviewed the agenda and background materials. The agenda was approved by Task Force Members.
- Group Agreements
Tanea reiterated the Group Agreements. No one added to the living document.
- Quality of Life Citations
The following updates were given from stakeholder perspectives:
- Background on Quality of Life Citations process: Elisa Della Piana (Lawyers Committee For Civil Rights)
- City Resources to address root causes of homelessness: Sam Dodge (SF Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing)
- Police Department role in citation process: Sergeant Jeff Ferreira (San Francisco Police Department)
- Services and Support to resolve citations: Tara Anderson (San Francisco District Attorney’s Office)
- Role of Superior Court in Quality of Life Citations: Mark Culkins (San Francisco Superior Court)
- Improving citation process: Jennifer Friedenbach (Coalition on Homelessness)
Facilitated Discussion about Perspectives.
- Discussion: Potential Task Force Recommendations
Task Force members discussed potential recommendations to reform the Quality of Life citation process.
- Public Comment
The public participated throughout agenda item discussions.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:00pm