San Francisco’s Business and Tax Regulations Code requires that every person engaging in business within the City must register within 15 days after commencing business and renewed on an annual basis.
New Business Registration
Determine if your business needs to register in San Francisco
If you answer "Yes" to any of the questions below, you must register your business.
- Operate as an independent contractor within San Francisco?
- Conduct business in SF for any part of seven (7) days during the fiscal year, including use of streets?
- Perform work or render services within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
- Solicit business within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year?
- Maintain a fixed place of business within San Francisco?
- Exercise corporate or franchise powers within San Francisco?
- Own or lease real or personal property within San Francisco for business purposes?
- Regularly maintain a stock of tangible personal property for sale in San Francisco?
- Employ or loan capital on property within San Francisco?
- Liquidate businesses when the liquidators hold themselves out to the public as conducting such business?
The Business Registration Certificate must be conspicuously displayed at your place of business and renewed annually by May 31st.
Renew Business Registration
2019 Business Registration Certificates will be mailed by the third week of June. You will not receive a business registration certificate if there are outstanding business taxes, unsecured property taxes, license and permit fees, or other fees and assessments owed to the City and County of San Francisco.
ATTENTION TAXI and TNC DRIVERS: If your only business activity in San Francisco is as a driver for a TAXI and/or a Transportation Network Company (TNC), you are no longer required to register as a business, or renew your existing business registration.
Have you moved? Are you receiving mail from our office? Before you renew, use Account Update to view or update your business information. It's easy to use and may save you time and money.
You are required to renew your 2019 Business Registration by May 31, 2018.
Failure to meet this deadline will result in penalties, interest, and fees
Online filing may be unavailable from Friday at 5:00PM to Saturday at 9:00PM for maintenance.
Technical Difficulties? Click Here
Additional Information and Assistance:
- 2019 Business Registration Renewal Online Instructions
- Table of Business Activities with description (NAiCS Codes)
- Business Activities Gross Receipts Worksheets
- Request your 8 character online PIN
- Payment Methods for Businesses
|Need Further Assistance?|
|Submit a service request. A Representative will contact you on the SAME DAY of the request if submitted prior to 7:00 pm. Requests received after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.|