San Francisco’s Business and Tax Regulations Code requires that every person engaging in business within the City must register within 15 days after commencing business and renewed on an annual basis. To become a Supplier for the City and County of San Francisco, you must complete a Business Registration with our office.
New Business Registration
New Business Registration instructions available here.
Businesses must register if any of the below statements are true:
- Operate as an independent contractor within San Francisco.
- Conduct business in SF for any part of seven (7) days during the fiscal year, including use of streets.
- Perform work or render services within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year.
- Solicit business within San Francisco for all or part of any seven days during one fiscal year.
- Maintain a fixed place of business within San Francisco.
- Exercise corporate or franchise powers within San Francisco.
- Own or lease real or personal property within San Francisco for business purposes.
- Regularly maintain a stock of tangible personal property for sale in San Francisco.
- Employ or loan capital on property within San Francisco.
- Liquidate businesses when the liquidators hold themselves out to the public as conducting such business.
- Receive more than $500,000 in total gross receipts in the City during the tax year.
The Business Registration Certificate must be conspicuously displayed at your place of business and renewed annually by May 31st.
Renew Business Registration
2020 Business Registration Renewal
All persons doing business in San Francisco must have a current business registration. 2020 Business Registration is valid for one fiscal year: July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020.
Renewal and payment must be submitted before midnight on May 31, 2019. Failure to meet the May 31, 2019 renewal and payment deadline will result in penalties, interest and fees.
Business certificates will be mailed out the end of June to be posted by July 1, 2019, the start of the fiscal year.
Taxpayers who were required to file an Annual Business Tax Return for 2018 will automatically receive a renewal bill via U.S. Mail and will be directed to the Payment Portal to pay. If you do not agree with the billed registration fee, you must amend your Annual Business Tax Return for 2018 to update the registration fee.
Optimized for Internet Explorer 11+, and current versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Safari
If you are no longer in business, go to Business Account Update and close your account.
TAXI and TNC DRIVERS: If your only business activity in San Francisco is as a driver for a TAXI and/or a Transportation Network Company (TNC), you are no longer required to register as a business, or renew your existing business registration.
Additional Information and Assistance:
- Request your 8 character online PIN
- Technical Difficulties? Click Here (Online filing may be unavailable Fridays at 5:00PM to Saturdays at 9:00PM for maintenance.)
City Bidder/Supplier (Vendor) Business Registration
After signing up to become a Bidder with SF City Partner, you can then advance your status as an Approved Supplier to be fully awarded City contracts by following the steps below:
- Complete a San Francisco Business Registration application to register your business
- Complete a 12B Equal Benefits Declaration
Are your required to register your business with San Francisco? Click Here and complete the questionnaire to determine if you are required to register. If you are not required to register the form will have you declare the facts. If you need to register it will take you to the online business registration application. It's important to select "Yes" or "No" to each question on the form so you are routed correctly.
Already registered with San Francisco? Click Here to connect your Bidder/Supplier ID with your existing San Francisco Business Account Number.
Once your Business Registration information has been entered and accepted into the PeopleSoft system, your Bidder ID will be converted to a Supplier ID and you will receive a notification with your new Supplier ID number. Your SF City Partner login should remain unchanged but should now direct you to your business' Supplier account (and not your prior Bidder account).
For Additional information and assistance to becoming a Bidder/Supplier, visit: SF City Partner
Click here to view step-by step directions on How to Become an Approved Supplier.
|Need Further Assistance?|
|Submit a service request. A Representative will contact you on the SAME DAY of the request if submitted prior to 7:00 pm. Requests received after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.|