You can change your mailing address, add a new location, or close a location or business using our online "Account Update" feature.
Taxpayers who file an Annual Business Tax Return for will automatically receive a renewal bill via U.S. Mail and will be directed to the Payment Portal to pay. If you do not agree with the billed registration fee, you must amend your Annual Business Tax Return to update the registration fee.
The 2021-22 business registration renewal deadline (previously May 31, 2021) is deferred for all businesses. Learn more.
TAXI and TNC DRIVERS: If your only business activity in San Francisco is as a driver for a TAXI and/or a Transportation Network Company (TNC), you are no longer required to register as a business, or renew your existing business registration.
You are required to let us know when a location or your business is no longer in operation. Closing your business will inactivate associated licenses with the Department of Public Health, Police Department, Fire Department, Office of Cannabis and the Entertainment Commission.
Before closing your business make sure to:
- Update your final mailing address using Account Update if your mailing address has changed. Once the business account is closed access to Account Update will no longer be permitted.
- Pay all outstanding financial obligations. After closing your business account, balances owed will be moved to the Bureau of Delinquent Revenue for continued collections.
What happens after you close your business:
- All business locations in San Francisco will be closed.
- All licenses and permits will be inactivated per the effective date of the closure.
- Closing the business does not remove your responsibility to pay any outstanding obligation or debt.
- No further notifications and reminders will be sent unless you have outstanding financial obligations.
- Continuation of operations after this declaration is submitted may lead to legal action.
Final Return for Taxpayers Ceasing Business
If certain gross receipts / payroll expense tax thresholds were met, you may be required to file an Annual Business Tax Final Return for the year in which business ceased in San Francisco.
Our office will review requests in accordance with the California Revenue & Taxation Code and the San Francisco Business and Tax Regulation Code. We encourage taxpayers to provide any documentation supporting the requests.
All taxpayers are required to enter a valid online pin (PIN) in addition to their Business Account Number (BAN) and last four digits of their Federal Tax Identification Number to access our online payment and filing applications.If you lose or misplace your PIN:
Complete, DocuSign and submit the online PIN request. To protect taxpayer confidentiality, the PIN will only be mailed to the mailing address on file with the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector. Note: 3 to 5 Business Days Processing Time.
For tax filings due 4/30 - if you are having trouble logging in, you will not have time to reset your PIN.
- For business registration renewal - complete the paper form and return it with payment via mail (address in the form), or safely drop the form off with a check or money order payment at City Hall by 5pm on 4/30/2021. The payment drop box is located outside City Hall, near the Grove Street loading dock entrance. The drop box is checked daily. Do not leave cash.
- For Annual Business Taxes (e.g. Gross Receipts Tax & Payroll Expense Tax)-Request an extension. To qualify for a 60-day extension to file any taxes within your 2020 Annual Business Tax Return, you must submit this request for an extension AND pay at least 100% of the taxes for which you are requesting an extension on or before April 30, 2021. The extension allows you to file your tax return no later than June 29, 2021. Return the form today with payment via mail with postmark or safely drop the form off with a check or money order payment at City Hall by 5pm on 4/30/2021. The payment drop box is located outside City Hall, near the Grove Street loading dock entrance. The drop box is checked daily. Do not leave cash.
Complete this form to declare if there is a San Francisco Business Tax or Fee that does or does not apply to your business. This form cannot be used to claim that some or all of your services are exempt from the selected business tax.
Need Further Assistance?
Visit our Help Center to submit a question. Questions submitted before 7:00 pm will receive a response on the SAME DAY. Questions submitted after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.