You can change your mailing address, add a new location, or close a location or business using our online "Account Update" feature.
The 2021 Business Registration deadline has been deferred from May 31, 2020 to March 1, 2021. Legislation is pending at the Board of Supervisors to further defer the deadline to April 30, 2021. Business Registration Certificates issued for 2019-2020 are currently valid through March 1, 2021. Learn more.
Taxpayers who file an Annual Business Tax Return for will automatically receive a renewal bill via U.S. Mail and will be directed to the Payment Portal to pay. If you do not agree with the billed registration fee, you must amend your Annual Business Tax Return to update the registration fee.
Subject to proposed policy changes by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors and Mayor Breed, the 2020-21 Business Registration Renewal Portal is down until further notice.
TAXI and TNC DRIVERS: If your only business activity in San Francisco is as a driver for a TAXI and/or a Transportation Network Company (TNC), you are no longer required to register as a business, or renew your existing business registration.
You are required to let us know when a location or your business is no longer in operation. Closing your business will inactivate associated licenses with the Department of Public Health, Police Department, Fire Department, Office of Cannabis and the Entertainment Commission.
Before closing your business make sure to:
- Update your final mailing address using Account Update if your mailing address has changed. Once the business account is closed access to Account Update will no longer be permitted.
- Pay all outstanding financial obligations. After closing your business account, balances owed will be moved to the Bureau of Delinquent Revenue for continued collections.
What happens after you close your business:
- All business locations in San Francisco will be closed.
- All licenses and permits will be inactivated per the effective date of the closure.
- Closing the business does not remove your responsibility to pay any outstanding obligation or debt.
- No further notifications and reminders will be sent unless you have outstanding financial obligations.
- Continuation of operations after this declaration is submitted may lead to legal action.
Final Return for Taxpayers Ceasing Business
If certain gross receipts / payroll expense tax thresholds were met, you may be required to file an Annual Business Tax Final Return for the year in which business ceased in San Francisco.
Submit a request to waive your penalties or get a refund. Our office will review requests in accordance with the California Revenue & Taxation Code and the San Francisco Business and Tax Regulation Code. We encourage taxpayers to provide any documentation supporting the requests.
All taxpayers are required to enter a valid online pin (PIN) in addition to their Business Account Number (BAN) and last four digits of their Federal Tax Identification Number to access our online payment and filing applications.
The (8) eight character online pin is formatted with both letters and numbers and is sent in a letter from our office to the mailing address on record for your business. You will be unable to file any taxes without your PIN. If you do not file by the deadline, you will be subject to penalties, interest and fees. Sole Proprietors with government issued identification can reset their PIN in person in City Hall room 140. Any other business type will not be able to reset a PIN over the phone or in person.
If you lose or misplace your PIN:
- Complete and sign the Request for PIN Reset form.
- Email the completed and signed PIN Reset form to TaxPinReset@sfgov.org. You may also mail the completed and signed PIN Reset form to: The Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector, PO Box 7425, San Francisco, CA 94120-7425.
- A new PIN will be sent to you via US Mail. To protect taxpayer confidentiality, the PIN will only be sent to the existing mailing address the Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector has on record. Note: 3 to 5 Business Days Processing Time.
Complete this form to declare if there is a San Francisco Business Tax or Fee that does or does not apply to your business. This form cannot be used to claim that some or all of your services are exempt from the selected business tax.
Need Further Assistance?
Visit our Help Center to submit a question. Questions submitted before 7:00 pm will receive a response on the SAME DAY. Questions submitted after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.