Pay your tax bill online by electronic check (eCheck) with no service fee by entering in your checking account information. Credit and Debit Card service fees are non-refundable and cover administrative costs associated with accepting payments online.
Service Fee Information:
Business Tax Fee Amount
|Electronic Check (eCheck)||No Fee||No Fee|
|Credit Card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa)||2.25% with $2.49 minimum||2.50% with $2.49 minimum|
|Debit (NYCE, Pulse, STAR)||2.25% with $2.49 minimum||2.50% with $2.49 minimum|
Our payment systems support Microsoft Internet Explorer 11+, Windows EDGE, and current versions of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Apple Safari. If you choose to use a browser other than the ones listed, your experience may not be optimal or secure. Please check and/or update your browser version before making a payment.
Tax payments must be received or postmarked by the due date to avoid penalties. If a payment is received after the due date, with no postmark, the payment is considered late and penalties will be imposed. Make check/money order payable to "SF Tax Collector". Include Block and Lot number on memo line. The canceled check/money order stub serves as your receipt. Do not send cash.
Mail payments to:
Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector
P.O. Box 7426
San Francisco, CA
Postmarks are imprints on letters, flats, and parcels that show the name of the United States Postal Service (USPS) office that accepted custody of the mail, along with the state, the zip code, and the date of mailing. The postmark is generally applied, either by machine or by hand, with cancellation bars to indicate that the postage cannot be reused. Foreign postmarks and private metered postage are not acceptable.
Taxpayers who send their payments by mail are cautioned that the USPS only postmarks certain mail depending on the type of postage used, and may not postmark mail on the same day deposited by a taxpayer.
Postage that is not postmarked:
- Metered mail: Mail on which postage is printed directly on an envelope or label by a postage machine licensed by the USPS. Many private companies use these types of postage machines.
- Pre-canceled stamp: Stamps sold through a private vendor, such as stamps.com®.
- Automated postal center (APC) stamps: Stamps, with or without a date, purchased from machines located within a USPS lobby.
- Permit imprint: Pre-sorted mail used by bill pay services, such as online home banking.
If you use these types of postage, the USPS will not postmark your mail. You will be charged a penalty and fee, if applicable, if we do not receive your mailed payment by the due date.
- Purchase and complete a certificate of mailing from the USPS, which is a receipt that provides evidence of the date that your mail was presented to the USPS for mailing. It can only be purchased at the time of mailing through the USPS. The USPS charges a fee for this service.
- Purchase a postage validated imprint (PVI) label from a USPS retail counter or window. The PVI is applied to a piece of mail by personnel at the retail counter or window when postage has been paid to mail that item. The item is retained in USPS custody and is not handed back to the customer. The date printed on the PVI label is the date of mailing.
The Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector is open Monday through Friday (except legal holidays) from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Expect longer than normal wait times around delinquency dates due to payment volume.
Office of the Treasurer & Tax Collector
City Hall - Room 140
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Acceptable forms of in-person payment:
- Check (personal, business, money order, cashier's check)
You can use the public access computers to pay by credit card, debit card, electronic check (eCheck).
To have funds electronically transferred to the City and County of San Francisco’s bank account through ACH, the following instructions should be provided to your partnering financial institution:
|Banking Institution:||Bank of America|
555 Capitol Mall, Suite 765 Sacramento, CA 95814
|ABA/Routing Number (ACH):||021-052-053|
|Bank Account Number:||50410998|
|Bank Account Name:||City and County of San Francisco|
|For credit to:||Property Tax (TTX)|
In order to allow for timely and proper application of payment/credit to your account, please indicate the following:
|If paying for:||Use this abbreviation:||Include:|
|Secured||SEC||Block and lot number|
|Supplemental||SUPP||Block and lot number|
|Unsecured Supplemental||U SUPP||Bill number|
|Redemption||RED||Block and lot number|
|Escape||ESC||Block and lot number|
|Unsecured Personal Property||UPP||Bill number|
|Estimated Taxes (Tax Certificate)||CERT||Block and lot number|
|Multiple (less than 10 bills)||MULT||Block and lot number|
If you are paying more than 10 tax bills with one ACH, you are required to provide payment details using Excel template below. Send your completed worksheet to: PTwires.TTX@sfgov.org.
Property Tax Postponement Program: The State Controller’s Property Tax Postponement Program allows homeowners who are seniors, are blind, or have a disability to defer current-year property taxes if they meet certain criteria.
Need Further Assistance?
Visit our Help Center to submit a question. Questions submitted before 7:00 pm will receive a response on the SAME DAY. Questions submitted after 7:00 pm will receive a response by the next business day.